Reporting to the Vice President, Corporate Controller, this role is responsible for assisting the Corporate Controller with the oversight of the financial, accounting and reporting functions. This role will prepare consolidated internal and external reporting, oversee corporate budgeting and cash flow in addition to supporting the organization’s objectives through accurate reporting and public company compliance. The incumbent will ensure the Company’s accounting procedures conform to GAAP and SEC requirements, ensuring the integrity of the Company’s financial data and reporting, both internally and externally.
- Financial Reporting:
- Design and maintain appropriate accounting policies and procedures and effective internal controls to ensure financial statements are accurate and complete and company assets are safeguarded.
- Assist with month-end, quarter-end and year-end closing and financial reporting processing including financial statement consolidation and balance sheet account reconciliation processes.
- Preparation and timely filing of the Company’s Form 10-Q and Form 10-K. Supports the financial reporting process for earnings releases, including generation of key reports and ownership of financial aspects of the releases.
- Develop, create and maintain advanced reports for ad-hoc and recurring analysis.
- Identify asset management concerns by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Work closely with IT and Business Applications staff on systems and reporting improvement opportunities.
- Monitor technical accounting treatment for new/unusual transactions, contractual arrangements, policy changes, and new/revised accounting regulations.
- Provide support on annual audits and quarterly financial reviews; work closely with external and internal auditors on annual audit process, including coordination of document requests, completion of analyses, transaction research, resolution of identified issues, answering questions regarding financial transactions and statements, and completion of the annual/quarterly GAAP disclosure checklist.
- Support communications amongst operations in Canada, Australia and USA on accounting related matters and the ability to discuss financial matters across a range of both financial and non-financial management levels.
- Coordinate reporting timelines, and scheduling of key quarterly meetings with management and external auditors.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and GAAP reporting requirements; stay current with changes in accounting guidelines and regulatory obligations.
- Assist with mergers and acquisitions including due diligence, purchase price accounting and integration and preparation of SEC & other filings related to acquisitions, as applicable, including the preparation of pro forma financial information.
- Lead adoption of new accounting standards and ensure proper documentation.
- Assist in technical accounting research and preparation of technical accounting memos documenting specific accounting positions related to transactions.
- Financial Performance & Budgeting:
- Work with division accounting teams to compile and report historical and forward-looking information required to finalize accurate budget plans and documents.
- Support the achievement of budget objectives through monitoring of expenditures, analyzing variances and recommending or initiating corrective actions, as well as the consolidation and presentation of the Company’s global budgets and forecasts.
- Participate in monthly review meetings of financial and operational results.
May take one or two international trips per year.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting; Master's degree is desirable.
- CPA or equivalent required.
- Minimum of 7-10 years at a divisional or business unit controller level, ideally with exposure to real estate, construction or natural resource industries, along with a complete knowledge of GAAP.
- SEC reporting experience preferred.
- Experience with JDE and Oracle Hyperion reporting tools (Smart View) or similar reporting software solutions is preferred.
- Ability to analyze complex financial data and discuss financial results with executive leadership staff and/or the Board of Directors.
- Strong understanding of current technologies to drive efficient financial reporting.
- Works well under pressure against demanding deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated relationship-building skills; a team player.
- Solid judgment and critical thinking skills; makes high-quality, well-considered decisions.