“Siri, set my thermostat to 72.”
“Alexa, add orange juice to my Fresh cart.”
Every day, consumers use voice-based AI applications to make their lives simpler and more efficient. They control their thermostats, turn on appliances, and order groceries. With consumers embracing smart home solutions, companies will need to adopt smart industry solutions.
But it’s more than just making consumers happy. Voice technology—the three-way intersection of IoT (devices), AI (services), and UX (interactions)—is a hands-free, frictionless way to use technology. Voice recognition applications help people conduct business. Industries of all types employ voice-based applications to drive efficiency in operations, reduce costs, and simplify processes. Products are created more quickly with fewer errors.
Innovative Voice-Based Applications Spark Growth
More and more companies are focused on building new AI applications, especially voice-based AI applications. Exciting advances in the effectiveness of voice recognition technology can be seen in such developments as natural language processing, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.
Innovative business uses include:
- Healthcare: voice technology can collect patient information and maintain e-records more effectively, making them easier to search later
- Manufacturing: a headset and microphone can receive instructions and report picks while moving up and down aisles, using both hands to pick and pack and go
- Banking and Finance: chatbots provide customer support comparable to a human assistant; biometric recognition can authenticate users, improving security
- Retail and e-Commerce: voice-based search functionality simplifies online shopping
- Public Transportation: integrating platforms ease the booking process
With growth and efficiency today, tomorrow’s voice-based technology will offer cutting-edge progress:
- Apps that can understand streamlined conversations
- Increased integration with various products
- An upturn in development of voice-enabled devices
- The merger of voice and visual displays to create a seamless experience
Challenges Are Creative Opportunities
Still, there are obstacles to overcome. Perhaps the most important issue is security. For technology to work, people must trust it. Always lurking in the background are questions: What are voice assistants recording? How can we be sure those audio files are private? Security remains key to keeping the trust of customers and industries.
In addition, to build a robust speech recognition experience, the artificial intelligence behind it has to become better at handling such difficulties as accents and background noise. The initial cost of the products can be off-putting; only later will companies see the return on investment.
These challenges open up opportunities for anyone with a technical background, particularly those with an interest in AI, IoT, or machine learning: software engineers, application architects, DevOps engineers, cloud-based engineers, and natural language processing experts.
Voice-based technology is a growing field that offers great prospects to flex your creative muscles by using voice applications in a wide range of industries to drive efficiency and customer satisfaction.